What is the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation?
This video provides an overview of the accidental discovery and explanation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the afterglow of the big bang. After reviewing the initial experimental work of Penzias and Wilson, a detailed account of the theoretical interpretation is presented, including a discussion of the thermodynamic legacy of the big bang, the Planck radiation law, recombination, and galaxy formation.
References for the video:
The First Three Minutes
– Steven Weinberg Cosmology
– Steven Weinberg The Inflationary Universe
– Alan Guth Introduction to Cosmology
– Matts Roos An Introduction to Modern Cosmology
– Andrew Liddle Introduction to Cosmology – Barbara Ryden